Saturday, February 1, 2014

Orchiectomy With Dr. Arnkoff

Well that title is probably a little misleading; as I have not had it yet.  I simply managed to get it confirmed today.  I first contacted Dr. Arnkoff via his website on the morning of Friday 1/17/14.  When I had not heard from him by the afternoon on Monday 1/20/14, I physically called the number from his webpage.  I had read elsewhere that it was his personal cell phone and I did get him.  There was a lot of background noise but I didn't give that much thought.  We *very* briefly discussed the procedure and a possible date.  I was looking at 2/15/14 as a primary date with 2/8/14 and 2/22/14 as secondary and tertiary dates since he confirmed that he does them on Saturday's (some accounts of the procedure I had read said/implied that this wasn't always the case but I was fine with it).  I told him that I needed to confirm that myself and J could be off - mine isn't really an issue, but hers could've been so he told me to text him back with my name and the date (2/15/14) once I had confirmed that.

Well due to J's days off she didn't get a firm answer until Thursday morning (1/23/14) at which point I texted Dr. Arnkoff as per his instructions.  I got a text back that he'd call me later.  Well I never got that call - I just figured he got busy and I'd follow up the next day.  I did text him back the next day (Friday 1/24/14) and apparently he was actually on vacation (that might explain the background noise from the call that Monday) and that he'd call me later.  This time he did and we again had a short conversation confirming the date, the cost - which is still $2500 - I was afraid it might've went up to $3000 per a Reddit post a couple of months ago, but as of now it hasn't.  He confirmed I'd have somebody with me, which I said wasn't a problem since J is coming - I mean how could she miss it since it's not everyday your SO gets some of their parts removed.  He told me he'd be back in the office the following week and he'd give me a call to give me some more information.

Well here we are a week later (Friday 1/31/14) and I hadn't heard back.  I assumed he had simply forgotten which is understandable with him on vacation when we spoke, but I wanted to confirm the date prior to booking hotel room(s), etc., so I texted him and inquired if the date was firm and what, if anything I needed to do/bring besides payment (cash or bank check FYI).  He texted me back that he'd call me later and a second text that yes the date was firm.  He called me shortly after that again confirming that the 15th was firm and that I'd likely be the 6am appointment - he starts at 6am and if he has more they're scheduled sequentially.  We discussed hotel arrangements; I was leanings towards one that is about a 5-10 minutes from him in Novi - partially because I like that particular chain and partially because I have enough points to get the room comped for our time up there.  Plus it's close to a nice mall and a Wal-Mart and several restaurants.  J and I had debated the merits of an extended stay facility; but since we'll only be there a couple of days and I do most of the cooking normally and likely wouldn't feel like it, it just didn't make sense.  It would've been nice to have a freezer in the room so we could just get a large bag of ice and/or some frozen peas or something, but so be it - I think the hotel we've chosen is enough nicer to make the sacrifice.  He also mention a few things to bring - Depends and Neosporin specifically as well as to make sure the "hair" was gone.  He told me he'd give me a call closer to the date - I'm guessing to confirm I hadn't changed my mind and to give any last minute instructions, etc.

So it would seem I'm all set; in two weeks (and a few hours) I'll be losing Mr. (Un)happy's two friends.  Being able to potentially reduce the hormones is part of the reason, but the two big reasons are vanity (my clothes will hopefully fit better), and of course the legal aspect.  I do have my gender marker changed already; but I live with a bit of a concern that at some point somebody may issue a ruling to undo the change I and others have accomplished here in this state and while this isn't SRS/GRS, it's *generally* considered enough for this purpose.  I had read that Dr. Arnkoff provides a letter in this regard; so I need to confirm that to him.  We also need to confirm the hotel and if we are staying an extra day in Detroit or if we're going to leave Sunday morning and perhaps come halfway back to say Indianapolis and spend the night there so I don't have to spend a good 10+ hours in the car.  Hopefully J and I can work that out.

In any case I'm tired so I should cut this short; as always thanks for reading.  I'll update this - well I'll probably just make a new post - once the "deed is done" with how things went.  Not to be disgusting or anything; but just in case anyone ever wanted to know about it as I know I've found it very helpful when others have done the same for things I've went through or at least contemplated going through.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment