Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Review: Subway's Flatizza

Updated:  3/6/14 - Forgot pricing...

Without delving into the details (at least in this post), J and I are dieting together.  So today for lunch we decided to try the new Flatizza's from Subway.  We both had the "Veggie" one - there are three others - "Cheese", "Pepperoni", and "Spicy Italian".  We settled on the Veggie one mostly due to calories as it was only 20 calories most than the cheese, but nearly 100 less than the others.

J and M actually went to get them so I didn't personally observe the ordering experience, but from J's recap, apparently the employee that made them had no idea what went on it which sort of boggled as I would've assumed they would've been trained, but maybe I've been out of fast food too long.  I believe J had hers "as-is", I had asked her to add the sweet peppers to mine to go along with the default toppings of sauce, cheese, tomato slices, green pepers, black olives, and onions.

My initial impression was very positive, they are packaged in a cardboard box that resembles what you'd get at a pizza place if you ordered a "personal sized" pizza.  It is on square flatbread that is cut into 4 individual squares.  The appearance was surprisingly good and actually resembled the picture on their website and in the ad that had prompted us to get them.  The cut was a bit off center which didn't bother me, but was a little sloppy on their part since it's a simple square and it shouldn't be that hard to cut evenly.  The toppings were evenly distributed which was nice, I spent a few years as a manager for a national pizza chain and that was always a point of emphasis for us.  The bread was nice and crisp as advertised and the toppings were nice and fresh as they generally are at Subway.

Now the not so positive - the taste.  It's not bad, but it wasn't really good either.  Now I realize that flatbread is one of the crazes these days and I do like it; but not so much as a pizza crust; although if you are a fan of crispy pizza that might be a different story.  The sauce didn't stand out and in my case that's a plus as I want the toppings to be the defining taste; but if you are looking for a memorable marinara sauce I don't think this is it.  The toppings - well I covered what they were above and they were just fine.  I think that was the problem for me - everything was "fine"; but it wasn't something that after I finished I said "I want to have that again".  It was more of "well, I guess it wasn't bad".  If I wasn't actually on a diet and watching my calories it might be different, but with the calorie limitation I'm on - the 410 calories this took out of my daily allotment just simply wasn't worth it.  I'd rather to go say Hardee's and get a 1/3lb thickburger with cheese & mustard with no bun (wrapped in a lettuce leaf) for 330 calories.  I'd be happier and save 80 calories doing it.

Now all of that being said I freely admit that Subway isn't normally "my thing".  J likes it a lot, but not so much me.  So if you do like Subway this may well appeal more to you than it did me.

Update:  3/6/14.  I neglected to mention pricing in the review.  At least here they were being advertised as 2/$5 which breaks out to $2.50 a piece.  Now since I didn't go get them myself I'm not sure if they are sold as 1/$2.50, but I'd think they would be.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment