Friday, October 25, 2013

Things I've Learned Being A Transgender Woman

I'm by no means a comic, but I tend to lean towards the funnier side of life when I can and looking at the posts I've made so far they all come across as more "serious" (for lack of a better term) than I normally am.  Therefore I thought it was time for a little levity - although there is a lot of truth in what's below too.

So without further ado, things I've learned in the last 15 months living as a Transgender woman:


  1. You can't wear just one top, you must layer your clothes.
  2. You can never have enough makeup.
  3. While there are exceptions, the more expensive the makeup the better it seems to work.
  4. Shoes, shoes, shoes...  Never enough shoes.
  5. A purse is the greatest invention ever.
  6. Try everything on - sizes are never consistent from brand to brand.
  7. It takes (in some cases A LOT) more time to get ready.
  8. Men see a color such as pink, women see pink, fuchsia, rose, and about 4.3 million other "shades" of the color.
  9. To apply eye shadow like you see in a magazine advertisement, you need to be better with colors than Picasso.
  10. Skirts (especially pencil skirts) are great until you have to gracefully get into/out of a car, or as I found out recently, slide into a booth.
  11. Typing with acrylic nails is an acquired talent.
  12. Speaking of nails, a nice professional manicure and/or pedicure is one of the best things on earth.
  13. Skin care products are actually worthwhile.
  14. Eyebrow threading is not nearly as painful as I heard, and for me at least way better than waxing.
  15. Back to shoes, there is actually a difference between "practical" heels and "sit and look pretty" heels.  And that difference seems to be inversely proportional - the "prettier" the heels the less comfortable they are.
  16. Apparently "distressed" jeans are good - and to think I always thought ripped up jeans was a bad thing.
  17. Back to the purse, no matter how good my intentions are and no matter how clean and organized I get it; within days it's back to a complete mess.
  18. People are more "touchy/feely" with a woman than they are a man.
  19. I get talked down to far more often than I ever did when I was presenting as a male.
  20. Hair takes a little more effort than an occasional shampooing and a quick comb to look nice.

I'm sure there are plenty more, but twenty is a nice round number.  Gotta run. <3



No comments:

Post a Comment