Thursday, October 17, 2013

St. Louis Area TG Experiences - Part 2

This is a continuation of my first post (here: http://stltg.blogspot.com/2013/10/st-louis-area-tg-experiences.html) - it was getting very long and it was getting very late so I decided to break it into multiple parts.  Without further ado, here is part 2.

UPDATE:  Since the "prior" posts links were getting a bit long, there is now a page with links to all of the posts:  My Transgender Experiences.  Additionally, I've went back and added more links and made some updates to some of the individual entries below since over time some things have changed.

Services:

  • Infinity Laser (Clayton, Missouri) - I've had five laser sessions on my face here.  A good friend of mine recommended them to me, and specifically Susanne and I've been nothing but happy.  They do have published pricing on their web site which is appreciated; although that is "flexible" as I've been paying more than my friend - but I do have a larger face/neck area and my hair is significantly thicker so I have no issue with that.  The pricing for me has been $249/session for the first five sessions; and now for the next two years it will be $149/session.  It's not "cheap", but I also didn't find it excessively expensive - and you do pay by the session which appealed to me as I didn't want to commit to a "package" like some places do.  After the first session I opted for the "numbing cream" which helps; although frankly I still find the process painful in some areas (specifically my jawline where the hairs are very dense).  The numbing cream is $49/tube and despite being told it generally only lasts two sessions, I've gotten four out of mine so for an extra $12/session it's been worth it.  They do keep the cream there with your name on it and you need to arrive early (in my case 1 hour) for them to apply it and it to take effect.  I plan on continuing the sessions for the foreseeable future; but will probably have to move to electrolysis at some point to finish up.
  • Nail Pros (Wentzville, Missouri) - Definitely not as cheap as many nail places; but I love their work and have never had *ANY* issues in there.  While walk-in's are fine; I normally make an appointment so I can get Tonya.  I've seen some poor reviews on Yelp; but I've never been anything less than happy with the work, I just wish they were a little cheaper.
  • Dr. Katherine Huhn-Usry (Tri-County Family Practice, O'Fallon, Missouri) - Dr. Huhn-Usry has been my GP for several years now and I have nothing but wonderful things to say about her.  She's been supportive of my transition and she even handles my blood work for my HRT with Dr. Swenson so I don't have to drive up to Columbia to take care of that.  There are two other Doctor's in the office - Dr. Hargraves and Dr. Usry (her husband).  I have seen both of them once each when Dr. Huhn-Usry was on vacation and while I liked Dr. Usry; I personally do not care for Dr. Hargraves - I find his "bedside manner" less than appealing; but obviously plenty of people do not share my opinion on that.

    UPDATE:  As of May 2015, I have elected to no longer utilize Tri-County Family Practice, and am instead seeing Dr. Swenson in Columbia as both my HRT Doctor as well as my GP.  This has nothing to do with Dr. Huhn-Usry herself as she was always wonderful to me; but rather the office in general.  For the last year or so, it has been very difficult to get into see her, or even either of the other two Doctor's in the office.  The final straw was back in May when we were told it was a three week wait and that we should go to urgent care instead.  While there, the urgent care personnel made some pointed comments about Tri-County and the "difficulty" they seemed to be having seeing patients.  It's a shame as they were so close and convenient and Dr. Swenson is 90 minutes away; but if I'm going to have to use urgent care in an emergency; I can do that anywhere and I might as well consolidate to one Doctor and since Dr. Huhn-Usry wasn't really receptive to handling my HRT a couple of years ago when I broached it, well it made the decision for me.  Again I think she's a wonderful Doctor and I'd recommend her to anyone, including those who are transitioning, but beware of the issues with getting appointments and the fact that they consistently ran anywhere from 30-90 minutes late on appointments.

Retailers:

  • Wal-Mart (Wentzville Missouri) - Wal-Marts tend to be hit and miss based upon the time you go in as well as the personnel working; but I've never had a poor experience at this particular store, including using the dressing rooms which is sometimes hit or miss at other retailers.
  • Payless Shoe Source (O'Fallon, Missouri, and Wentzville, Missouri) - My feet run a size 11 or 11 1/2 depending upon the shoe which is often a size above what most retailers carry.  Payless does carry a reasonable selection of shoes in my size(s) and personnel at both of these locations have been very polite and helpful as needed.
  • Shop-n-Save (Dardenne Prarie, Missouri) - I cannot say enough about how polite, friendly, and helpful everyone in this store is.  I know that virtually all of my entries are positive - which is simply because almost all of my experiences have been that way - but this location is above and beyond virtually all of them and is where I try to do virtually all of my grocery shopping these days.
  • Ulta (Chesterfield, Missouri) - My experiences have been very good here; with a couple of minor nitpicks on my part.  My first visit was to pick up some Dermablend Cover Creme.  My best friend took me out there with the intention of getting some help picking out an appropriate shade.  The young lady that helped us was initially a bit stand-offish for lack of a better term - but after a minute or two she got over it and did a wonderful job helping me pick out what I needed and even taking the time to show me how to apply it as well as a good primer.  The second nitpick was a later visit when I went in "androgynously" and at checkout when asked if I had one of their shopper cards I told the cashier I didn't.  She didn't offer to sign me up and I believe had if I had been a cis-woman she would have.  Minor nitpick I know and I could've asked I know; and the next time I was in dressed as Madison the cashier I had on that visit did get me signed up.  Overall, it's definitely not the same experience as Sephora or MAC, but I do continue to shop there and haven't had any significant issues.
  • Beauty Brands (Wentzville, Missouri) - My experiences here fall in between Ulta and Sephora/MAC.  I think part of that is simply the culture of the chain - Sephora/MAC seem to be more "hands on" and Beauty Brands more of a browse by yourself place; but they've always been polite and helpful when asked and the first visit there even though I was also dressed androgynously they got me signed up for the frequent shopper program (which is partially why I was annoyed at Ulta).  I still prefer Sephora to all of them, but I do shop here on occasion.

Travel:
  • TSA (Lambert Airport, St. Louis, Missouri) - I've read all sorts of horrible accounts of TSA treatment to non-TG people, much less TG people, so when I had to travel for work recently and decided to travel as Madison I was more than a little apprehensive about going through security.  My apprehension was totally without any merit.  The initial boarding pass check was done without so much as a question (my license still has my male photo on it) and the actual scanning was without incident.  I expected an additional "pat down" as I had on breast forms; but they took me right though without a second look.  In fact I was so apprehensive that I left my license and boarding pass on the tables prior to the baggage scanner and a very nice TSA woman found me on the other side to return them.
  • Southwest Airlines Counter (Lambert Airport, St. Louis, Missouri) - The same trip as above, I had a checked bag and I always do that at the counter inside.  I won't call this an issue so to speak - I like to think it was simply because I passed so well; but I'm guessing it was more that she wasn't paying enough attention; but when I checked my bag and she asked for my ID in a reasonably loud voice she told me she needed to see <male name>'s ID - I quietly told her that it was in fact my bag and my ID and at that point she sent me on my way.  I wish she had been a little quieter about it; but if that's the worst that happened on the trip - well then I think it went well.
  • Enterprise Rent A Car (Greenville/Spartanburg Airport, Greenville, South Carolina) - Same trip as above.  The young man who handled my car rental was completely professional despite the fact that again the car was reserved in my male name and my ID had my male picture.  I've never had anything but positive experiences with Enterprise and attempt to use them whenever I can.

I think this just about does it for now.  Obviously I've been to plenty of other places at this point; but these are the ones that stand out positively (or in some cases less than positively).  Going forward I'll document things in a more "real-time" manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment