Monday, July 21, 2014

Pets And The Inevitable...

There are many wonderful things about having pets, but there is one ultimate downside and that is when that saddest of days comes and the pet(s) move on from life in this world.  As I've mentioned off on on throughout this blog, we have cats.  Actually 7 cats.  Six of them are actual rescues, and the other one was "rescued" from my sister as her dogs were too much for him.  Each of them has their own wonderful and special personality, and each of them is important to all of us here.  However, most of them have "attached" themselves to one of us primarily - although a couple of them have either no allegiances or perhaps multiple allegiances.

Unfortunately for at least a couple of our cats, that sad and inevitable day is approaching - far quicker than any of us would like.  I'm not sure if it is the hormones or simply me getting older, but when I was younger I had pets - mostly cats, but as a teenager I also had a poodle that my grandparents couldn't keep.  Eventually all of those pets passed away and while that made me sad - I also didn't dread that day coming like I find myself doing with our current crop of cats.

Upon giving it some thought while on the treadmill just now I thought it would be nice if I wrote a little something about each of them - sort of a "bio" of them - along with some pictures and thoughts.  I want to do it now while they are all still here with us, bringing us joy, and hopefully us bringing them equal joy.  I think what really prompted me to do this was something George Takei (yes Sulu from Star Trek fame) shared on his Facebook feed.  It was the story of a dog's "last day" as told from his point of view.  J warned me not to read it as she said it was sad, but I chose to anyway and I cried my eye's out doing it and even on our walk later on that night.  In fact tonight when we walked I cried again, and just looking up the link I'm crying now.  Here is the link:  HERE - be warned though, like I said it's brought me to tears repeatedly.

Now I probably shouldn't let me, his owner made his last day a wonderful day, but I can't help it.  I know that sooner rather than later we are going to go through this and more than once.  So over the next few days I'll be posting a post for each of our cats, feel free to skip over them if you'd like, but if you have a few free minutes - hopefully they'll be worth reading.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment