Sunday, July 6, 2014

My Perspective On "Orange Is The New Black" - Part 2

Since I seemingly published my original post before I was finished (HERE) - in lieu of going back and finishing that post I simply decided to break it into two parts.  This part will contain some more "random thoughts" about the show most of which would be considered "spoilers" I suppose.  So if you choose to read on, consider yourself warned. :)

I realize it's a minimum security prison, but there sure seems to be a lack of correction officers floating around.

The enforcement of rules seems to be beyond haphazard as well.  They enforce who can call/be called and who can/can't visit, but they look the other way when things are smuggled into the prison?

The whole tunnel under the greenhouse thing in season 2, really?  I believe the tunnel was already there, which is contrary to what some/most/all people think.  Assuming so how exactly did her son find the other end?

The Morello "field trip" to her "fiance's" house.  In order to believe that she did that without getting caught required a complete suspension of reality on my part.

The "cell phone" from season 1 - nobody else ever found it, but Piper finds it almost immediately?  And it was being hidden in the bathroom, but it had to be charged somewhere and nobody else noticed that?

Jimmy's "escape"?  She literally just walked right out?  And ends up at the same bar where Caputo's band is playing with the guards in attendance?  Seriously?

I could go on and on, but really what's the point?  I do enjoy the show even if there are things that just boggle my mind.

One thing that really did hit close to home was the third episode of season 1.  Jodie Foster directed it and it was the episode that told Sophia's (Laverne Cox) back story.  Regardless of the fact that I'm a trans-woman or not, I thought they did a pretty good job with it - especially within the constraints of the show.  I've never been much of a Jodie Foster fan and truthfully I'm not sure how responsible she was for how that episode came out as a "guest director", but regardless it was worth watching.  For that matter I've found the whole series to be worth watching.

I guess I'll get back to some regular topics now as this seemed like a good idea when I set out to write it, but after doing so I think I'm better served with opinion and/or personal experience pieces than television reviews. :)

Hope everybody had a safe and pleasant 4th of July.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment