Saturday, January 25, 2014

I Shall Call Them Mini-Rants

I'm still in a remarkably good mood since yesterday; as I said then it's not SRS which I now probably want more than ever; but the Orchi will be a good step for me.  That being said, I do have a few ongoing agitations that I thought would be good to get off of my chest.

Starting with this one.  Why is it so hard to check the bag/food if you are fetching breakfast/lunch/dinner/etc for people???  My daughter can do it; but neither J nor M can seem to.  The fact that M doesn't really gets me as we're at about 20 years of this.  I know some would tell me that I should go instead and perhaps they're right; but frankly if I'm paying for it I don't think it's expecting too much for one of them to get it on occasion and to CHECK THE FOOD - at least mine.  On those occasions when I do go, I check it and as I mentioned my 20 year old daughter does as well.  Why can't the "adults" do it too???

Moving on, I love J with all my heart - even more so now with our current "arrangement", but she has a couple of really annoying traits.  I'd like to say that me sharing them here would get me in "trouble"; but even if she reads this I'm sure it won't (and perhaps that's an annoying trait of it's own).  The first is that she cannot take constructive feedback - and I mean feedback, not criticism as it's the former and not the latter.  Instead of taking it for what it is and making a decision as to it's validity she immediately assumes she needs to completely overcompensate for whatever was pointed out - really makes me want to not say things.  The other one is a lack of listening.  Obviously our arrangement changes some things; but to me listening is not one of them.  If she wants to listen and then choose to do whatever anyway that is part of how things should be working; but to simply not listen is really agitating.  If she's not going to listen then why should I take the time to communicate?

My boss.  I've vented a couple of times about him; but for the most part he's good to work for - the gender issue aside.  However, he has a couple of annoying traits.  First off, he tends to read most of his email on his phone and as that's how we predominantly communicate that's an issue because I honestly think he hasn't figured out that there can be more than one screen's worth of text in an email.  It's gotten so bad I no longer use paragraph breaks as he'll miss the rest of the message.  Another is his prioritization as it relates to me - he'll give me a list of things to do and when I'm part way through it he'll switch priorities.  Look, I understand that business is like that at times - especially smaller businesses like ours; but NOT all the time - it gets old at times.

Lastly for now, the lack of consistency by retailers.  Look, I don't care what your policies are - just follow whatever they are.  As an example, I didn't make dinner last night so J and I ran to Hardees when she got home to get her some dinner.  We had some coupon and whatever it was for included a small fry/drink.  We paid the difference to upgrade her to large/large.  Well today, M and my daughter went over there for some reason and took a similar coupon and were told that they "couldn't upgrade a coupon" or something to that effect.  WTF?  They're turning down a customer spending more money?  That is counter-intuitive to me to start with; but they just did it last night and there was NO MENTION at the time that they were bending the rules or anything.  So whatever the policy is for Hardees is fine; but be consistent.  And it's just not them, this stuff happens all over the place and it's agitating.

I guess that'll do it for now, I've got some things to do.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment