Friday, August 15, 2014

How My Hobbies Have Changed Since Transitioning...

Before I chose to transition my hobbies were fairly simple.  I love to read, although I don't do it nearly as much as I used to.  I used to love to play tennis and shoot baskets, but over the years as I put on weight those things became things I no longer enjoyed, and in the case of tennis you need someone to play with.  There were some games I enjoyed, Civilization III being probably the one I played most.  I'd fuss around on the Xbox 360 a bit (Trials HD and Trials Evolution being my favorite time killers), and so on.  As far as sports, well I followed the local teams quite a bit - the Rams, Cardinals, and Blues, as well as the Missouri Tigers (usually basketball and football) on occasion.

Since my transition my hobbies have changed a bit.  I still read on occasion, but even less than before as it's really an unsocial activity when it comes down to it and I'd rather be doing something else for the most part.  I also don't watch much in the way of sports any longer - I make an effort to catch the Rams if they are on, but the Cardinals and Blues - well I couldn't tell you the last time I watched a full game of either outside of the playoffs; same with Mizzou.  The Xbox - well I barely turn it on anymore, if not for the fact that M2 has his own and there are two community ones in the game room, I'd put my elsewhere, but for now it (and it's jtag'd twin stay up here).

While most of those hobbies seem to have went by the wayside, I have picked up some new ones.  Shopping being first and foremost, but me still being me I hate to spend money so I try not to go all that much, although the grocery store provides sort of a happy medium for my desire to be out shopping.  Plus it plays into one of my newer hobbies and that is cooking.  I'm by no means some gourmet, for the most part I stick to simpler recipes, both out of necessity and the fact that I have some picky eaters, but regardless I enjoy it and I've turned out some stuff that is really good - including a baked spaghetti last night that J said was good, and M commented on it not only last night, but also today told me how good it was when she reheated it.  That is totally out of the ordinary for her, so she must have really liked it which felt good.  That's not to say I don't have things that are less than good, but J and M are usually troopers and will at least make an effort to eat whatever I come up with which is appreciated.

Now while I consider cooking to be a hobby to an extent, it's also necessary for us to eat so it's not a true hobby for me.  However, crochet is.  I'm not sure why I picked it up, I remember shopping at a Wal-Mart with J and M and we ended up in the crafting aisle for some reason and I saw a little starter kit and thought I might like to try it.  I actually sent J back a couple of days later to get the kit and I started teaching myself to crochet.  Early attempts weren't great:


That heart was the most successful of the bunch.  However, over time I got a little better, although my "color choices" weren't always great as is evidenced by my first attempt at a scarf which came out looking like a piece of bacon:


I moved on to scrunchies and hair bows since I thought I'd be able to use those myself - although it turned out that I didn't have long enough hair to do so; although J and M have worn some on occasions.  Here's an example of one:


And another one:


In fact as I sit here typing this I'm working on a scrunch for M right now.  It's a little more involved than the ones above, but hopefully will come out.

As to why I like crochet, I think it really comes down to the fact that it's sort of a tedious task and for somebody like me that's actually a good thing.  I can sort of "zone out" for a while and just count stitches and such.  Plus I think it plays to the submissive part of me as it's a very repetitive task and those are things that have frustrated me in the past.

Well I'm not sure that this post was really what I envisioned, but what's done is done, so I'll go with that.  Have a great weekend.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment