Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Transitioning 101 - Makeup

Early on in this blog I wrote a short series of posts about makeup that worked well for me; and while some of that has changed over time, most of what is there still stands today.  That being said, the subject of makeup is a common one that I saw in the AskTransgender subreddit so I thought it would make a good topic for this series of posts.

Now, as with all of the posts in this Transitioning 101 series, what I'm writing about are my own experiences and thoughts and what you might have experience or what you may think may well differ from me and that's fine.

  • For the most part I believe "less is more" when it comes to makeup.  I believe that there is a real art to applying makeup and making it look "natural" and for me it's been something that I've been learning over time.  Don't get me wrong, I do like to highlight something - be it with a nice lipstick, or maybe a bright eye shadow, but I try and focus on one area to emphasize and make everything else look natural.  I know there are plenty of people out there who don't agree and that's fine - and many of them look far better than I can ever hope to.  But I think for a great many women in general, but even more for Trans-Women trying to "blend in", a subtle touch when it came to makeup would be better.
  • With that being said, one thing I try and keep in mind is that just because something looks good on someone else, it may not be for me.  The best example I have is red lipstick.  I just love red lipstick on a woman, I always have.  And for me, I think Taylor Swift wears it as well as anyone; but despite my proclivity to wear it around the house I seldom wear red lipstick outside of the house.  It just doesn't work as well for me as pinks and nudes do.  I wish it did, but it doesn't, so I'm judicious about when I go out with it on.  
  • I believe that if your goal is to "blend in" then you really need to consider the time of day and where you are going when choosing what makeup (and not that it's part of the this topic, but the same can be said for clothes as well) you're going to wear.  If I run to the grocery store at 10am, I see very little makeup on, and for those that are wearing it, it's definitely a different look than I'd see out at dinner on a weekend evening.  Hey if you want to dress up and do your makeup for a night on the town to go grocery shopping, then by all means do so, but then don't be surprised if you get more attention than you might want.
  • Perhaps the most important thing I can say here is that you shouldn't be afraid to go somewhere and ask for help with picking out makeup.  Places like M.A.C., Sephora, Ulta, etc., have all been very helpful for me.  They've helped match foundations to my skin tone for me, they've taken the time to show me how to properly apply certain things, helped me pick out shades of things that they thought would work well for me and so on.  And at all of the stores I mentioned, they've been very friendly and helpful.  I won't say it was easy for me to go into those places the first few times, but in hindsight I'm glad I did and the only regret I have is that I didn't do it sooner.  And while those stores carry more expensive makeup, for things such as foundation it may well be worth the price (it has been for me, especially early on before the laser really started doing it's thing on my face).  And while I still use expensive foundation when I'm dressing up, I've also been able to take that expensive foundation with me to places like Wal-Mart and match it up to far cheaper stuff to wear around the house or for those quick outings where I'm not getting "all done up".  Not to mention that some places such as Ulta do have some cheaper makeup of their own as well.
  • I personally believe that a nice set of brushes is important - they don't have to be expensive.  I've got a couple that were a little pricey, but most of mine are cheaper - I really like Eco-Tools for example and you can pick those up fairly cheaply at Wal-Mart these days.  Same goes for e.l.f.  Actually it's not really a "brush", but my favorite tool is a $3 e.l.f. mascara/shadow guard (This one) it really makes getting my mascara on a piece of cake - especially for the bottom lashes.  Now some people aren't brush fans and use their fingers and/or sponges for most of their makeup, and in some ways I admire the fact that they are that proficient.  But for me personally I find I do a better job with brushes.  And definitely make sure to keep your brushes clean.
  • Practice, practice, practice.  I'll admit that I was easily frustrated early on.  Not only could I not make myself look like the people I saw in magazines or even on Youtube, but I couldn't even look as nice as J or M did.  I'm not saying I can today either, but it's a lot closer now than it was back then.  
  • Speaking of practice, it doesn't have to be expensive.  Yes, when I'm "going out", I do tend to use nicer makeup, but for practicing around the house the majority of makeup I use for that is cheap stuff from places like Wal-Mart, or even places like Dollar Tree.  Yes, it may be shades that I wouldn't normally wear, but I'm not concerned about that (at least not for the most part), but rather my technique.  For things such as eyeliner for example, I'd much rather waste a $1 on it at Dollar Tree than $10, $20, or even more on an expensive eyeliner.  And back to the "shades" thing, I tend to wear a lot of nudes as that seems to work for me; but when I'm practicing I tend to use bright colors intentionally.  The reason I do so is that those bright colors make it far easier for me to see what I've done as they stand out against my skin tone.  I'm not saying this is something everyone needs to do; but it worked well for me.
  • Speaking of eyeliner, that is one of my pet peeves.  I just love it, I really do.  But I get frustrated when I see someone asking about what makeup to get started with and a bunch of people naming off 4 or 5 things and eyeliner being one of them.  Maybe I'm in the minority, but for me doing eyeliner nicely has taken a lot of practice, often frustrating practice.  I believe that it's easier to start with things such as lipstick/gloss, eye shadow, or even mascara.  And I believe that for many Trans-women that foundation and/or concealer should be more of a priority early on as for most of us there is a beard shadow to contend with.  I'm not saying that eyeliner isn't something to learn to use, but I just don't see it as something to drop on someone new to makeup.
  • And lastly, let me say this - and it's really part of the upcoming "Shopping" topic; but the reality is that virtually nobody cares if you are in a store browsing/purchasing makeup, or anything else for that matter.  Most of the stores are just grateful that you are in there spending money.  And if you happen to run across an employee who is less than helpful then by all means either escalate it or go elsewhere (or both).  But whatever you do, don't go in with excuses like "it's for my wife/daughter/whatever", "I lost a bet", etc.  All you are doing is drawing attention to yourself that you otherwise likely would not have.  This is especially true at stores like Wal-Mart - the cashier(s) in general could care less what you are buying - until you give them a reason to care which is what excuses like those do.  And if you are visiting a "makeup store" such as Ulta, etc., be honest with what you need/want - it's hard for them to truly be helpful if you aren't being forthcoming.  Yeah, telling a sales associate that I needed help getting a foundation that would match my skin tone *and* cover any beard shadow wasn't the highlight of my day the first time, but because I was honest with her, she was able to get me what I needed and even took the time to apply it for me and explain what she was doing each step of the way and why she was doing it.  That visit was worth it's weight in gold to me going forward.
I intentionally avoided specifics on makeup brands and such here as I've touched on those elsewhere in the blog and really that's something that is more individual; but there are some posts earlier in this blog where I did touch on things that worked for me if you're so inclined - I believe there were 5 of them, scattered from November 2013 through February 2014.  But regardless of that, I hope something here was helpful to at least one person.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment