Friday, September 19, 2014

St. Louis Area TG Experiences - Part 8

Well it's been a good three months since I've written a post on this subject, once again, shame on me since this was the reason I started the blog.  It's funny I get out more now than ever (at least for the most part), but we tend to visit the same set of places for the most part so I don't have as much to write about as I'd like.  I guess we need to start broadening our horizons. :)    

UPDATE:  Since the "prior" posts links were getting a bit long, there is now a page with links to all of the posts:  My Transgender Experiences.  Additionally, I've went back and added more links and made some updates to some of the individual entries below since over time some things have changed.

Restaurants:
  • Fazoli's (O'Fallon, Missouri) - J and I have eaten here a couple of times recently.  For those not familiar with the name it is a national quick service Italian chain.  I'm not big on Italian food, although the occasional lasagna is fine, but J really likes it - though I do enjoy their bread sticks, a little too much actually.  The staff has always been friendly and polite, the only "gripe" I'd have is that J has to go fetch more bread sticks from the counter since they seldom seem to bring them around as they are supposed to.  So we'll have a "thumbnail" for this entry, here's a picture of the two of us from last Friday 9.12.2014.


  • Quiktrip (Lake Saint Louis, Missouri) - Technically they are probably a retailer as they are a regional convenience store/gas station chain.  I put them in this category as while I do get gas there I always pay at the pump.  However, I often run in and pick up a soda (they have a huge variety of fountain flavors) or something to munch on like a hot dog or taquito.  Recently they've rolled out their QT Kitchens in the ones near us where they prepare a limited menu of food.  The personal pizzas are good, as are their kolaches, but I'm a real fan of their pretzels with cheese sauce.  Their stores are ALWAYS extremely clean and their staff is fast and efficient.  They've never been anything less than polite to me and I really try to only visit there to get gas as they do guarantee it.  

Retailers:

  • Ross Dress For Less (Wentzville, Missouri) - M and I went recently visited this location and it went fine.  She's more of a fan of it than I am, I see it as a cross between a thrift store and something like say T.J. Maxx, but that's simply my opinion.  As I said it was basically an uneventful trip, I was able to find a couple of tops I liked for myself as well as one for J.  I actually found a really adorable purse as well, but it was a shade of purple which is more J's color so I went ahead and bought it for her instead.  M found a few things for herself as well.  I did not need to use the dressing rooms and in hindsight I sort of wish I had since there was at least one publicized case a few years ago where a trans-woman had an issue at a location in Washington state.  I'm curious to see how well the company has addressed things so I guess I'll have to go back and see for myself.
  • *UPDATE* - Shop-n-Save (Dardenne Prairie, Missouri) - As I said a few updates back I try not to post "updates" anymore unless something has changed at a location I've previously mentioned.  That's not quite the case here, but I though a recent experience was worth mentioning.  Recently I was in this location by myself on a Friday - they were running a $10 off of $50 as they do on occasion so they were busy.  My shopping itself was uneventful as always, but upon getting into a checkout line a fairly rude woman behind me managed to clock me.  Probably my voice as I had ran over on my "lunch" and since I have to play <old name> on the phone for work and I was in a hurry I probably didn't give it as much effort as I should have.  As I was the second person back (and she the third), we were in line for a few minutes total and she stared me down and made a couple of semi-nasty comments that I'm sure were directed at me.  I ignored it as I am in that store quite a bit and wasn't going to make a scene, but it did agitate me.  The reason I mention this was the cashier I had.  She obviously picked up on what was going on and went completely out of her way to address me as "Miss" and "Ma'am" and could not have been any politer to me.  As I was pushing my cart out, I paused for a moment to dig my keys out of my purse and I guess the woman said something to the cashier that I couldn't quite make out, but it must have been about me as the cashier replied to her (loud enough I could hear her) that "SHE'S in here all the time and SHE'S a very nice LADY".  I am in there a lot and I'm sure I stand out a bit as they've seen me as <old name> up to how I look now and everything in between; but I've never been treated with anything other than the utmost courtesy and respect.  But this cashier went above and beyond and it made my day that she did.
  • Beauty Queen (Wentzville, Missouri) - This is one of M's favorite local stores, they have a lot of cheap jewelry, makeup, and so on.  I can take it or leave it as far as the merchandise goes for the most part, although on occasion I will find something I really like - in fact the other day M and I visited and I grabbed a few things for M, J, P, and myself, including a necklace/earring combo for a $1 that is adorable.  They also carry wigs, I never looked at them and assumed they were cheaper "costume" type wigs, but I noticed a sign for Estetica Wigs last time which is the brand I use.  As it turns out they do carry those "costume" type wigs, but also some nicer lines such as Estetica and they are actually cheaper than the online site I normally order from so next time I'm looking for a wig I'll have to give them a try.  They are always incredibly nice and polite and I have no qualms going in there.
  • Dierberg's (O'Fallon, Missouri) - I've written about another location before (Wentzville), but last Friday J and I visited this location and if anything they were even more nice and polite than the Wentzville location I normally visit.  I wish their prices were a little more in line with Shop-n-Save as it's a hard sell for me to drive three times as far to pay more even if their deli options are so much better than about any other grocery store in the area.
It's late (well now early), so I think I'll wrap things up now.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment