Friday, May 8, 2015

An Open Letter To McDonald's (And A Few Other Businesses Too)...

I know I sort of did this once before; but that post was more of a catch all for several companies and this one is going to be specific to McDonald's - though there are things that plenty of other businesses could probably glean from it.  So why this topic, and why now?  Well, McDonald's has been in the news a fair amount lately and I've always taken an interest in them.

So why do I have an interest in them?  Well simply because I grew up with them.  Both of my parents spent many years working for them, my father worked for a franchisee for a lengthy time, and my mother worked for McOpCo (McDonald's Corporate stores) for a good while as well.  So not only did I grow up eating my fair share of McDonald's, but I also spent plenty of time around various stores for one reason or another, company picnics, etc.

That all being said, I have some thoughts on McDonald's "struggles" and things *I* would be pursuing to fix those struggles if *I* were in charge.  Obviously, I'm not an expert in corporate affairs, economics, or really much of anything else; these thoughts are simply coming from someone who did at one point really like the company and their products and who is now very disillusioned with them.  So without further ado, here's my thoughts on the company as it sits today.

Let's get this out of the way right now.  STOP TRYING TO BE CHIPOTLE, STARBUCKS, PANERA BREAD, etc.  Just stop it.  That's not who you are and as long as you continue to try and be those companies you will continue to struggle.  Look, I'm glad you've remodeled so many of your stores to look nicer, but the vast majority of us who would eat there are not there for the "experience".  We are there because we like your food, or it's cheap, or it's fast, or a combination of the three.  I'd rather you took the money you seem to want to spend on making yourself look like those places I mentioned and spend it on better (or cheaper) food or more staffing.

Speaking of staffing, plenty of companies struggle with that, and I've spent enough years working in hospitality (thankfully I got out years ago, but I digress) to understand how it can be difficult to adequately staff in general, much less to anticipate business accurately.  But come on, during peak periods why aren't these stores reasonably staffed?  Are you actively trying to run off business?  Especially during lunch?  Most of us can't/won't spent 10+ minutes in line or drive thru for your food - if we are going to wait that long we can go somewhere with table service instead, especially since many restaurants have lunch menus that are comparable in price to your food, and usually better quality.

And about pricing - you've fallen into the same trap as many other restaurants have (I'm talking about you White Castle, and to an extent you too Taco Bell) where you've priced yourself out of what was once your core market.  Chipotle can get away with charging nearly $10 for a burrito, but I'm sorry people don't want to pay $7-$8 (or more) for a Big Mac "Value Meal" - we don't see the "Value" in that.  Perhaps if the food was hot and fresh we might, but generally it's poorly made, often not hot or fresh, and generally a disappointment.  I'm not saying you have to sell your stuff for nothing - but plenty of businesses have been successful on lower margins because they sold so much product - you used to be one of them.  At some point you apparently decided you wanted to be one of the "cool kids" and as such charge as much as they do.  Well you're not one of those "cool kids" and rather than hiding from that, you should embrace it and get back to what made you successful.

And on that note, how about you cut about 1/2 of your menu?  Remember when you sold burgers, fries, and shakes?  I'm not saying you need to be that extreme, but your menu is simply out of hand (and hey White Castle this goes for you too).  You are trying to be everything to everybody and that's simply not reality.  I hear you're testing Kale now.  Kale?  Really?  Simplify your menu, yeah you'll upset some people, but they'll get over it.  It will improve your speed of service which will make it a better customer experience.

Since we're on the topic of pruning the menu - that McCafe stuff needs to go.  Again YOU ARE NOT STARBUCKS, so quit screwing up your operation with that mess.  Yeah I'm sure it's probably high margin stuff, but again losing a little margin could be made up with being able to handle more customers, not to mention simplifying your operations.

And the food - well it's simply not good.  I understand that you've chosen to cave to the vocal minority and go the "healthy route"; but the majority of us that go to your stores are not going because it's healthy.  If you want me to pay nearly $2 for a large french fry, then it needs to be hot, fresh, and tasty; and all too often your stores are failing at all three of those.  The hot and fresh is a simple fix, but the tasty - well again I understand you're trying to be healthy, but if I wanted healthy fries I'd go somewhere and order baked sweet potato fries.  I'm at your store ordering your fries because I grew up loving them and you've all but destroyed that for me.  And as I mentioned above, all too often your sandwiches aren't hot and fresh either and they're often just thrown together with all the care of an angry toddler.

I know you got a lot of bad publicity for things like "Super Size" and such; but again bowing to the vocal minority was a mistake.  Nobody was forcing me or anyone else to "Super Size" our fries/drink.  How much in incremental sales have you lost because you caved on this?  And speaking of fries, how about you actually fill the box for a change.  I'm really tired of getting anywhere from 1/2 to 2/3rds of an order of fries in the fry box.  That's a recipe for me to either not order a value meal or to simply go somewhere else.

And maybe instead of franchising more of your company stores you should go in the other direction.  Yeah, you'll take a hit in the short term, but I've seen too many poor franchisee's that are undermining your good ones and your corporate stores.  Either make those poor ones clean up their act, or take them back over; but continuing to cede operations of your stores is a colossal mistake.

I could go on and on, but I think I've made the majority of points I set out to make.  Bottom line for you is that I used to love McDonald's and I'd like to again, but you're making it impossible for me to do so.  Get your head out of your a** and fix things before it's too late.

- M


No comments:

Post a Comment