Sunday, June 15, 2014

Father's Day No More....

I chose to transition in mid 2012, after Mother's/Father's day's had occurred.  When they came up last year, my daughter P chose to celebrate both for me - it wasn't a big deal as we had J/M on Mother's Day and M2 on Father's Day anyway, it wasn't like it was just about me either time.  

However, this year, P chose to celebrate only Mother's Day for me.  At first I wasn't sure how to take that since regardless of my chosen gender, I am still her biological father.  It's not that Father's Day was ever really important to me, I always felt she loved me each and every day - but that for a brief time I felt like she no longer saw me as her Father and I know she doesn't see me as her Mother.  

But as Father's Day has gotten closer, and now arrived, I've taken a different view of things.  It really has nothing to do with seeing me as a Father (or Mother), but rather her seeing me for who I want to be seen as.  She sees me as "Madison" and regardless of what day she chooses to celebrate me as a parent, that's the greatest gift she could ever give me.  

So for all of those out there that do celebrate Father's Day - I wish you a safe and happy day.  But for me, I'll be forever happy with Mother's Day... :)

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment